Your dog can be poisoned in a
variety of different ways, many involving common household products, plants,
insects, toads, paint, bleach, weed killers, rat poison, and many others.
DID YOU KNOW Chocolate made for
human consumption can poison your dog?
Chocolate contains Theobromine which is a toxic
compound. This compound stimulates the nervous system producing
restlessness, excitement, tremors leading to seizures and coma. Other signs
which may be seen include vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing, increased
drinking, loss of bladder control and sudden death.
Signs usually reach their peak around four hours after poisoning, but can
last for up to eighteen hours. Death from heart complications have been
reported as much as three days after the initial effects have been observed.
Sweet chocolate can be fatal at doses of 100g/kg and Unsweetened chocolate
has caused fatalities at 20g/kg.
How do I know my dog has been poisoned?
Look for Breathing difficulties - loss of balance - convulsions - pawing at
the mouth - dribbling from the mouth - convulsions (fits) - collapse.
What do I do?
Telephone your veterinarian immediately, tell
him the substance you think your pet has been poisoned with, take a sample
or the original container with you when you go to the surgery or have it to
hand for when the veterinarian arrives at your premises. Unless the
veterinarian has instructed you to, Do Not give the dog a drink (especially
not milk) and you must not attempt to make the dog vomit.
If the dog has been doused with a substance for example bleach or acid, wash
the area thoroughly with water making sure that your own hands and arms are
protected, keep washing until you are sure that none is left in the coat or
on the skin. Keep the dog calm and warm and seek immediate veterinary
assistance. If your dog is unconscious remember the A.B.C procedure (Airway,
First Aid is not meant to replace veterinary